Saturday, August 9, 2008

Calligraphy I: Mindfulness in Action



I once had a beautiful calligraphy portfolio of samples and client work, but it perished, along with many other irreplaceable parts of my life, in a fire. During the last three weeks, I have missed three opportunities to pick up money doing calligraphy, so I decided to spend a few hours this afternoon doing creating work for a new portfolio. It’s been years. I started to feel a little apprehensive. It was harder than I remember, and just thinking about the portfolio brought memories of the fire, etc. But the work turned into an exercise in mindfulness; it was meditative, really, because when I came up for air, the sun had been replaced by the moon.

No inky paw prints, no cat hair-induced streaks.
















A week tobacco, nicotine and caffeine free (well, I did have a nice cup of coffee today – does that count?)






I know -- "sumer."



This one isn't new; in fact, it's the very first piece I did -- in the 80s.

4 comments:

Jade-Caitlin Skkyë said...

Beautiful calligraphy- you're very talented!

Planetary Citizen said...

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. You always wonder who out there in cyberspace finds your blog! Come back again.

Brenda from Flatbush said...

Wow. You quit ciggies and then start creating all this gorgeousness. Wow, and did I mention, wow?

Planetary Citizen said...

Thanks, Brenda. Boy, I was really rusty. Like a singer doing vocalizations, I had to do about thirty minutes of practice swoops. Now, if I can just stop eating, sleeping and reading, just think what I can accomplish (smile). Why do people write "(smile)" when it's clearly a joke? (smile again)